Chef’s Table in Season
Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce
Revisit this seasonal recipe from Jorge Santos, head chef at Russell’s of Broadway
Ingredients for the potato croquettes
- 200g watercress
- 300g Jersey Royals
- 1tbsp grain mustard
- 10g shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- pinch saffron
- 100g flour
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
Method for the potato croquettes
- Place the potatoes in a pan with water and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain and mash and leave to cool.
- Heat the butter in a large sauté pan, add the shallot and garlic and cook for one minute. Add the watercress and cook for 2 minutes until wilted.
- Leave the mixture to cool before tipping into a clean tea towel and squeezing out the excess moisture. Chop with a knife if too coarse.
- Stir the mixture into the mashed potatoes, add the mustard, season well.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into walnut sized balls, dip in flour, then egg and then breadcrumbs. Chill, then fry until golden brown.
Ingredients for the rhubarb
- 3 sticks rhubarb
- 100g sugar
- 1 star anise
Method for the rhubarb
- Boil 100ml water with 100g sugar and 1 star anise. Add the rhubarb and leave to cool.
Ingredients for the duck
- 1 duck breast per person (trimmed and excess fat removed)
- 150ml chicken stock
- 1tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1tsp sherry vinegar
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 sprig thyme
Method for the duck
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Season the duck breast then add to the pan skin side down. Cook for 6-8 minutes until the skin is crisp and golden brown. Turn over and cook for another 2-4 minutes. The duck should be tender but still pink in the middle. Remove from the pan.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan with the sherry vinegar, redcurrant jelly, butter and thyme. Reduce over a high heat until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the duck with the potato croquettes, a little poached rhubarb and extra watercress for garnish.
La Delfina Pinot Grigio Blush, Italy £7.99
Cut through the richness of this dish with a summery rosé. This crisp and dry pinot grigio has berry flavours and mouth-watering acidity.
50p off Cotswold Butter 250gLogin to view all this month's exclusive deals
Friday 3rd July – Sunday 19th July 2020 in our Bidford-on-Avon store.
Try some Cotswold Butter at a reduced price when you swipe your reward card at the till.
Chef's table archive
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »
- Butternut squash risotto with parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile »
- Sweetcorn fritters, poached duck egg, bacon and paprika hollandaise »
- Cherry Bakewell »
- Fruity Pavlova »
- Pan roasted rump of lamb with baby vegetables followed by chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet »
- Caramelised white chocolate, local strawberries & almond clusters »
- Scotch egg with asparagus, spinach and a mustard dressing »
- Leek and watercress risotto with poached free-range egg »
- White chocolate mousse with forced rhubarb »