Greek green beans with tomatoes
Try this summery salad as a side or vegetarian main, courtesy of Erin Baker of the Natural Cookery School
My mom grew green beans (any variety of French beans) every summer and I was made to pick them on a regular basis. Back then I hated it as I would have much rather been playing with my friends.
Now, I have my own allotment and always grow green beans. This recipe is a great way to use up the summer gluts and can be served as a side dish or as part of a mezze.
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced into eights
- 500g French beans, topped and tailed
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 tbsp fresh, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh parsley
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook until it turns translucent.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes in and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the French beans and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until the beans are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and finish with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Garnish with fresh parsley, and enjoy.
Tinpot Hut Sauvignon Blanc
Intense aromas of fresh gooseberries and ripe capsicum, this is old school Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc. Classic Marlborough style fruit, rich and powerful with underlying minerality.
For more natural recipes like this from Erin, why not take a look at Erin’s book, The Veg Table. You can buy it here: www.naturalcookeryschool.com
Erin Baker runs the Natural Cookery School in Nailsworth. The Natural Cookery School’s approach to cooking uses foods that are minimally processed; whole grains, fresh local produce and minimally refined sugars.
Erin creates wonderful takeaway feasts and offers outdoor catering for events. She also run courses at the Natural Cookery School – for more details including Covid safety measures, visit the website at www.naturalcookeryschool.com
Chef's table archive
- Asparagus velouté with crisp hen’s egg and pancetta »
- Twice baked parmesan soufflé, truffle and chive cream with baby leaves »
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »