Seasonal Asparagus with Potted Shrimp Butter
Try a tasty new flavour combo in this sensational seasonal recipe from Head Chef of The Fish Hotel, David Hall…
- 2kg locally grown asparagus
To prepare the asparagus
- Firstly, snap the woody ends off the asparagus and discard. Then blanch the asparagus in boiling salt water.
- Cook in a medium saucepan for one minute, then remove from the heat and refresh in ice water.
- Next, drain your asparagus from the water and dry in a j-cloth.
Ingredients for the shrimp butter
- 250g butter
- 60g finely sliced shallots
- 175g brown shrimp
- 1g cayenne pepper
- 1g smoked paprika
- 40g langoustine or shellfish oil
- 1 lemon zest
- 10g lemon juice
- 5g salt
To make the potted shrimp
- Firstly, cook the shallots in butter until softened.
- Then stir all the other ingredients into the butter and shallot mixture.
- Fry your mixture in a pan and stir every five minutes until the butter thickens.
- Then pop your shrimp mix into a sterilised glass jar and garnish with herbs such as chives, dill or parsley.
- Finally leave your shrimp mix to set in the fridge, preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, use a griddle pan or BBQ to lightly char and reheat your asparagus.
- Then in a pan melt your potted shrimp butter.
- Finally, garnish with a handful of capers and soft herbs such as chervil and dill.
Woodchester Valley Vineyard Bacchus
The grassy notes of asparagus would partner beautifully with a locally-grown wine, such as this award-winning Bacchus. See Wine of the Month for more.
The Fish Hotel & Retreat - back-to-nature bolt-hole with a little touch of luxury – visit
www.thefishhotel.co.uk to find out more and book!
Chef's table archive
- Twice baked parmesan soufflé, truffle and chive cream with baby leaves »
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »