Chef’s Table in Season
Scotch egg with asparagus, spinach and a mustard dressing
Try this spring update on a classic recipe from Nick Orr, head chef at The Manor House Hotel in Moreton-in-Marsh
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 300g sausage meat, seasoned
- 12 asparagus spears
- 100g spinach
- 1tbs coarse grain mustard
- 100ml rapeseed oil
- 1tbs sherry or white wine vinegar
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 150ml milk
- Soft boil the eggs for 5 mins and cool with cold running water.
- Trim the asparagus tips and cook them for 3 mins, then refresh under cold water.
- Peel the eggs carefully, then roll out the seasoned sausage meat to 10mm thick and carefully wrap it around the eggs completely.
- Make the egg wash by whisking 2 eggs together with the milk.
- Roll the Scotch eggs in seasoned flour, then egg wash, then breadcrumbs and set aside in the fridge
- To make the dressing, add the mustard and vinegar to a bowl, then slowly add the oil while whisking. Once all the oil has been added, whisk a little boiling water to it – this will help it to emulsify. Set aside.
- Deep fry the Scotch eggs until lightly golden and cook in the oven at 180°C for 6 mins.
- Wilt the spinach and warm up the asparagus spears in a pan with a little foaming butter then place them on the centre of a plate. Cut the egg while hot, place on top of the greens and drizzle with the dressing.
Sarah and some of her Masterchef friends have created a fantastic Facebook group – have a look and discover some more of Sarah’s recipes - Join here.
The delicious Butcombe Gold by Butcombe Brewing Co is full of character and would make a tasty partner to these Scotch eggs. Made with a blend of Caramalt and Maris Otter malt and brewed using lashing of English Fuggles hops, this beer is full of fresh vitality with herbal, earthy notes.
Chef's table archive
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »
- Butternut squash risotto with parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile »
- Sweetcorn fritters, poached duck egg, bacon and paprika hollandaise »
- Cherry Bakewell »
- Fruity Pavlova »
- Pan roasted rump of lamb with baby vegetables followed by chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet »
- Caramelised white chocolate, local strawberries & almond clusters »