Chef’s Table in Season
Pan roasted rump of lamb with baby vegetables followed by chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet
Try this seasonal feast from Jorge Santos, head chef at Russell’s of Broadway…
Ingredients for the lamb
- 4 rumps of lamb
- Drizzle olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 25g butter
Method for the lamb
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper and place in the pan, fat side down.
- Cook until golden brown on the fatty side, then turn over and seal the meat side.
- When the lamb is sealed, place it on a wire rack over a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 12-13 minutes, turning occasionally. Then remove from the oven and leave to rest.
Ingredients for the fricassée
- 50g broad beans
- 50g fresh peas
- 2 baby carrots
- 100g Cotswold Butter
- 100mls vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
Method for the fricassée
- Heat the stock slowly then whisk the butter into the stock to create an emulsion.
- Cook the peas, broad beans and carrots in the emulsion for 2 minutes.
- Gently remove with a slotted spoon and season.
Ingredients for the dark chocolate tart filling
- 3 eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 60g caster sugar
- 350g butter
- 450g dark chocolate
- 60g cocoa powder
- Pre-cooked pastry case
Method for the dark chocolate tart filling
- Place the eggs, yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until light and creamy.
- Melt the butter and bring to the boil, then stir in the chocolate and cocoa powder. Keep stirring until all the chocolate is melted into the butter.
- Fold the chocolate into the egg mixture. Mix well to combine but don’t knock the air out of the egg mixture.
- Pour into a pre-bought cooked pastry case. Bake for 10 minutes or until the top of the chocolate is slightly crusting over.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then place in the fridge to chill.
Ingredients for the raspberry sorbet
- 250ml raspberry purée
- 120ml sugar syrup (add 250g sugar to 500ml water and boil until the sugar dissolves)
- 50ml raspberry liqueur
Method for the raspberry sorbet
- Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Churn in an ice cream maker until the desired consistency is reached.
Sarah and some of her Masterchef friends have created a fantastic Facebook group – have a look and discover some more of Sarah’s recipes - Join here.
Santa Carolina Pinot Noir
A top Pinot Noir from Chile, Elegant, complex and smooth, strawberry and redcurrant fruit flavours bursting with a touch of white pepper and a soft lingering finish.
Chef's table archive
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »
- Butternut squash risotto with parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile »
- Sweetcorn fritters, poached duck egg, bacon and paprika hollandaise »
- Cherry Bakewell »
- Fruity Pavlova »
- Caramelised white chocolate, local strawberries & almond clusters »
- Scotch egg with asparagus, spinach and a mustard dressing »