Chef’s Table in Season
Butternut squash risotto with parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile
Autumnal vegetables give a seasonal twist to this classic Italian dish, courtesy of Jorge Santos, head chef at Russell’s of Broadway.
- 1kg butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubs
- 3tbps olive oil
- 1½ litre vegetable stock
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 small glass white wine
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced into long ribbons
- Before you make the risotto, heat the oven to 220°C or gas mark 7. Toss the squash in 1 tbsp oil and scatter in a shallow roasting tin and roast for 30 mins.
- While the squash is cooking prepare the risotto. Bring the stock to the boil and keep on a low simmer. In a separate pan melt half the butter over a medium heat. Stir in the onions and sweat gently for 10 minutes until soft.
- Stir the rice into the onions until coated in butter. Stir continuously until the rice is shiny and the edges of the grain start to look transparent.
- Pour on the wine and simmer until totally evaporated. Add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring the rice over a low heat for 25-30 mins. The risotto should be creamy and slightly soupy but still retain some bite.
- When the squash is cooked, mash half of it to a rough purée and leave the other half whole. When the risotto is done, stir through the purée, add the butter and cheese.
- Serve the risotto with the remaining squash, parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile.
Sarah and some of her Masterchef friends have created a fantastic Facebook group – have a look and discover some more of Sarah’s recipes - Join here.
I heart Pinot Grigio
This classic Italian dish needs a classic Italian white wine and this light and refreshing Pinot Grigio fits the bill perfectly.
Chef's table archive
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »
- Sweetcorn fritters, poached duck egg, bacon and paprika hollandaise »
- Cherry Bakewell »
- Fruity Pavlova »
- Pan roasted rump of lamb with baby vegetables followed by chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet »
- Caramelised white chocolate, local strawberries & almond clusters »
- Scotch egg with asparagus, spinach and a mustard dressing »