Lamb shanks with winter vegetables
Use the best of this season’s vegetables to create this heart-warming dish – it’s a one-pot wonder!
- 4 lamb shanks
- Seasoned flour for frying
- 2 medium onions
- 2 carrots, cut into sticks
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Half bottle white wine
- Lamb stock cube
- 1tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- In a large pan, sauté the onions and carrot in oil or dripping until lightly coloured. Add the sweet potato, celery and leeks, stir and cook until softened.
- Toss the lamb shanks in the seasoned flour and lightly brown them in a frying pan.
- Add the lamb to the vegetables in a large pot. Throw in the white wine and reduce for 1 minute.
- Add enough stock to just cover the shanks. Season, and add the redcurrant jelly and rosemary.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a tight lid and put in the oven for an hour at 200°C.
- When the meat is coming away from the bone, it’s done. Serve with mashed swede and buttered kale.
Check out Wine of the Month for 5 great reds from Broadway Wine Company – perfect partners for an autumnal lamb dish!
Chef's table archive
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »