Chef’s Table in Season
Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa
A summer risotto is the ideal way to enjoy fresh seasonal ingredients and this recipe from the Broadway Hotel is easy to create at home...
With autumn finally here and the long nights setting in, it’s time to enjoy simple, slow-cooked dishes. It truly is my favourite time of year in the kitchen. This recipe is typical of what we serve at the restaurant and whilst most people won’t have tried cooking pork cheeks before, it’s a very simple process. The cheeks release so much flavour whilst cooking along with the other ingredients to create a rich and indulgent sauce to go with the creamy mash and sweet roasted vegetables. Ask your local butcher about pork cheeks.
The Bridge is a relaxed riverside brasserie in an idyllic setting on the banks of the River Avon. Sadly the restaurant will be closing again due to the latest Government lockdown, but will continue to offer a takeaway service. Find out more here: thebridgeatbidford.com
Ingredients for Salsa
- 1x cucumber, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 200g radishes, chopped
- 1x red onion, finely chopped
- 1x bunch mint, chopped
- 2x tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6x tbsp extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin rapeseed oil
- Salt for seasoning
Method for Salsa
- Mix chopped cucumber, radish, red onion, red wine vinegar and salt (to taste) in a mixing bowl. Leave for 10mins then add olive oil and chopped mint.
- Check if it needs any further seasoning and add now to your taste, then leave to one side for later use.
Ingredients for Risotto
- 250g risotto rice
- 2x shallots, finely chopped
- 150ml dry white wine
- 400ml vegetable or fish stock
- 2x tbsp crème fraiche
- 200g fresh peas
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1x clove of garlic crushed
Method for Risotto
- On medium heat sweat the shallots and garlic with butter.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a separate pan.
- As onions start to caramelise add risotto rice and coat in butter for 2mins.
- Add white wine and seasoning, simmer for 2mins.
- Add hot stock a ladle at a time to the risotto.
- Simmer until risotto is al dente and sauce has been reduced.
- Now add in your peas, mint and crème fraiche and cook for a further minute.
Ingredients for Cod
- 2x 170-220g cod loin
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2x tbsp extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin rapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1x ½ lemon
Method for Cod
- Heat frying pan to a medium heat. Season cod loin both sides and pan fry in olive oil and butter for 3-4mins.
- Turn and cook for further 2mins, basting with frying pan cooking oils to keep moist.
- Spoon hot risotto on to a heated plate.
- Place cod loin on top of risotto.
- Drizzle salsa on and around the edge of the risotto.
Take the casserole dish out of the oven and remove the pork cheeks. Pour the sauce through a sieve and discard the vegetables. The sauce can now go into a saucepan and reduce by one third – it will thicken on its own and will have a lovely shine to it. Add the cheeks and take off the heat.
That’s the hard work done!
Heat the mash slowly, place onto the plate, along with the vegetables from the oven. Place three pork cheeks on top, pour over some sauce and enjoy!
I heart Pinot Grigio
This dish needs a dry white wine so this Pinot Grigio is ideal. Dry and crisp with delicate citrus aromas and lemon and lime flavours, it’s an easy to drink Italian wine that’s delicious on its own or with light foods such as salads and seafood.
Chef's table archive
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »
- Butternut squash risotto with parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile »
- Sweetcorn fritters, poached duck egg, bacon and paprika hollandaise »
- Cherry Bakewell »
- Fruity Pavlova »
- Pan roasted rump of lamb with baby vegetables followed by chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet »