Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa
A summer risotto is the ideal way to enjoy fresh seasonal ingredients and this recipe from the Broadway Hotel is easy to create at home...
My mom grew green beans (any variety of French beans) every summer and I was made to pick them on a regular basis. Back then I hated it as I would have much rather been playing with my friends.
Now, I have my own allotment and always grow green beans. This recipe is a great way to use up the summer gluts and can be served as a side dish or as part of a mezze.
Ingredients for Salsa
- 1x cucumber, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 200g radishes, chopped
- 1x red onion, finely chopped
- 1x bunch mint, chopped
- 2x tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6x tbsp extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin rapeseed oil
- Salt for seasoning
Method for Salsa
- Mix chopped cucumber, radish, red onion, red wine vinegar and salt (to taste) in a mixing bowl. Leave for 10mins then add olive oil and chopped mint.
- Check if it needs any further seasoning and add now to your taste, then leave to one side for later use.
Ingredients for Risotto
- 250g risotto rice
- 2x shallots, finely chopped
- 150ml dry white wine
- 400ml vegetable or fish stock
- 2x tbsp crème fraiche
- 200g fresh peas
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1x clove of garlic crushed
Method for Risotto
- On medium heat sweat the shallots and garlic with butter.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a separate pan.
- As onions start to caramelise add risotto rice and coat in butter for 2mins.
- Add white wine and seasoning, simmer for 2mins.
- Add hot stock a ladle at a time to the risotto.
- Simmer until risotto is al dente and sauce has been reduced.
- Now add in your peas, mint and crème fraiche and cook for a further minute.
Ingredients for Cod
- 2x 170-220g cod loin
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2x tbsp extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin rapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1x ½ lemon
Method for Cod
- Heat frying pan to a medium heat. Season cod loin both sides and pan fry in olive oil and butter for 3-4mins.
- Turn and cook for further 2mins, basting with frying pan cooking oils to keep moist.
- Spoon hot risotto on to a heated plate.
- Place cod loin on top of risotto.
- Drizzle salsa on and around the edge of the risotto.
I heart Pinot Grigio
This dish needs a dry white wine so this Pinot Grigio is ideal. Dry and crisp with delicate citrus aromas and lemon and lime flavours, it’s an easy to drink Italian wine that’s delicious on its own or with light foods such as salads and seafood.
Chef's table archive
- Seasonal Asparagus with Potted Shrimp Butter »
- Asparagus velouté with crisp hen’s egg and pancetta »
- Twice baked parmesan soufflé, truffle and chive cream with baby leaves »
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »