Chef’s Table in Season
BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle
Enjoy a vegan BBQ feast, courtesy of Head Chef Ales Maurer from The Lygon Arms in Broadway
- Cauliflower (small pieces)
- Butternut squash (diced)
- Red onion pickle (diced red onion, 300ml red wine vinegar, 3tbsp caster sugar, 1tbsp salt, 3 black peppercorns, coriander seeds, star anise and bay leaf)
- Flaked almonds
- Red and yellow peppers
- Spring onion
- Bulgur wheat
- Chipotle BBQ sauce
- Olive oil and lemon juice
- Parsley, chopped
- Coat the cauliflower and butternut in harissa paste and bake in the oven so it is still crunchy.
- Make the red onion pickle: in a pan add the red onion pickle ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. Pass through a sieve, then pour over the diced red onion and set aside.
- Toast the flaked almonds.
- Drain and wash the chickpeas and place in a roasting tray, add the diced peppers and roast in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Cook the bulgur wheat in vegetable stock until soft, pass through a sieve, chill and set aside.
- For the dressing, mix 2 spoons of harissa, 2 spoons of chipotle BBQ sauce, a cup of olive oil, juice of a lemon, sea salt and whisk.
- Dress the salad (spring onions, radicchio, chopped parsley) together with all the above, and finish with sea salt and a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil.
What is a tonka bean?
The tonka bean is the black seed of a South American tree and has a fragrance like that of vanilla. The dried beans are cured in rum or other alcohol and then used in perfumery and for scenting and flavouring tobacco, ice cream, and other products.
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel kitchen is led by Stephen Smith and his award-winning team. Together, they have created delicious dishes that showcase the fantastic local and seasonal ingredients available on our doorstep.
Following customer feedback, you can enjoy food from all our menus in any of our dining areas. This means you can have our rosette dishes in either the bar, brasserie or on our terrace and equally have Fish and Chips in all locations, making it a more versatile menu for guests.
Stroud Brewery Alederflower
This can of organic, vegan pale ale is subtly infused with summery elderflower, perfect for summery seasonal eating. Find out more here: stroudbrewery.co.uk
Chef's table archive
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »
- Butternut squash risotto with parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile »
- Sweetcorn fritters, poached duck egg, bacon and paprika hollandaise »
- Cherry Bakewell »
- Fruity Pavlova »
- Pan roasted rump of lamb with baby vegetables followed by chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet »
- Caramelised white chocolate, local strawberries & almond clusters »