BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle
Enjoy a vegan BBQ feast, courtesy of Head Chef Ales Maurer from The Lygon Arms in Broadway
My mom grew green beans (any variety of French beans) every summer and I was made to pick them on a regular basis. Back then I hated it as I would have much rather been playing with my friends.
Now, I have my own allotment and always grow green beans. This recipe is a great way to use up the summer gluts and can be served as a side dish or as part of a mezze.
- Cauliflower (small pieces)
- Butternut squash (diced)
- Red onion pickle (diced red onion, 300ml red wine vinegar, 3tbsp caster sugar, 1tbsp salt, 3 black peppercorns, coriander seeds, star anise and bay leaf)
- Flaked almonds
- Red and yellow peppers
- Spring onion
- Bulgur wheat
- Chipotle BBQ sauce
- Olive oil and lemon juice
- Parsley, chopped
- Coat the cauliflower and butternut in harissa paste and bake in the oven so it is still crunchy.
- Make the red onion pickle: in a pan add the red onion pickle ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. Pass through a sieve, then pour over the diced red onion and set aside.
- Toast the flaked almonds.
- Drain and wash the chickpeas and place in a roasting tray, add the diced peppers and roast in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Cook the bulgur wheat in vegetable stock until soft, pass through a sieve, chill and set aside.
- For the dressing, mix 2 spoons of harissa, 2 spoons of chipotle BBQ sauce, a cup of olive oil, juice of a lemon, sea salt and whisk.
- Dress the salad (spring onions, radicchio, chopped parsley) together with all the above, and finish with sea salt and a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil.
Stroud Brewery Alederflower
This can of organic, vegan pale ale is subtly infused with summery elderflower, perfect for summery seasonal eating. Find out more here: stroudbrewery.co.uk
Chef's table archive
- Seasonal Asparagus with Potted Shrimp Butter »
- Asparagus velouté with crisp hen’s egg and pancetta »
- Twice baked parmesan soufflé, truffle and chive cream with baby leaves »
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »