Individual Bramley Apple Tarts
Masterchef Semi-Finalist Sarah Dugdale says “I love afternoon tea and I make these apple tarts as they are just a perfect size.”
Ingredients for the sweet shortcrust pastry
- 150g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
Method for the sweet shortcrust pastry
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Mix in the icing sugar and a pinch of salt followed by the egg yolk. If the pastry feels too dry to form dough, add a tablespoon of water, shape into a ball, flatten into a disc and wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
Ingredients for the apricot glaze
- 1/2 cup of apricot jam
- 1.5 tbsp of Grand Marnier (or you can use water)
Method for the apricot glaze
- Combine jam and liqueur in a saucepan and over a low heat until mostly liquid. Using a stainless steel whisk whip for about five minutes, use as it is or strain through a sieve.
Ingredients for the filling
- 2 Bramley apples
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
Method for the filling
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c
- Roll out the pastry and divide into 12 pieces
- Roll out each piece thinly
- Cut into circles and refrigerate for 20 minutes
- Line a bun tray with the pastry, and blind bake the bottoms for 5-8mins
- Slice the apples, simmer with water and the sugar until soft
- Spoon each base with the apple puree and put a top on each tart, bake in the oven for ten mins. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Brush each tart with the apricot glaze.
- They can be served warm or cold.
A glass of fizz!
Afternoon tea should always be accompanied by a glass of fizz, so try a glass of your favourite Prosecco, Champagne or Cava!
Chef's table archive
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »