Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale
A casserole with star quality is just the thing for cooking ahead in the festive period. Get £1 off the Wild & Game range at your local Co-op Food Market.
- 2 whole pheasants
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 3 slices of bacon or pancetta, chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chopped sage
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 4 tbsp finely chopped parsley (leave a small amount to garnish the top)
- 1 tin of plum tomatoes
- 200mls chicken stock
- 200mls white wine
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp crushed juniper berries (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- On the hob, heat an ovenproof casserole dish and add half the oil and the butter.
- Cook the bacon in the dish, then remove and set aside.
- Now brown the pheasant in the dish, remove and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil and now the onions and celery, then the mushrooms; turn up the heat and cook until the onions are soft. Now add the garlic and carrots.
- Add the herbs and the white wine. Simmer until the wine has reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce.
- Season well with salt and pepper and now return the bacon and the pheasant to the casserole. Don’t cover the pheasant in the liquid completely as you want the skin to crisp up.
- Cover and cook for one hour. Take off the cover for the last ten minutes of cooking.
Honu Pinot Noir from Broadway Wine Company
This New Zealand red has delightful aromas of strawberry and redcurrant which lead into tantalisingly savoury flavours of roast game, beetroot and raspberry. Soft tannins and a touch of acidity make it fresh on the palate. Serve at room temperature, perfect with game. Visit Broadway Wine Company at 39 Kennel Lane, Broadway or online here.
Chef's table archive
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »