Twice baked parmesan soufflé, truffle and chive cream with baby leaves
Try this indulgent dish from Chris Hallsworth, Head Chef at The Bridge in Bidford-upon-Avon
Ingredients for the soufflé
- 8 x 10cm x 10cm squares of baking parchment
- 75g of plain flour
- 75g of unsalted butter, plus extra to line the moulds
- 425ml of milk
- 200g of grated Parmesan, plus extra to line the moulds
- 20g of Dijon mustard
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 shallot
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, grease the moulds with softened butter. Add a teaspoon of grated Parmesan and shake around the mould ensuring all the butter is coated with the Parmesan and tap out any excess cheese. Pop the moulds into the fridge whilst preparing the soufflé mixture.
- Gently warm the milk with the shallot, bay leaves and nutmeg. Once heated (not boiled) pass the mixture through a sieve into a jug. Melt the butter in a pan on a low heat, add the flour and mix to a smooth paste. Add the milk in stages, roughly 100ml at a time, and stir into the paste, ensuring the paste is lump free and simmering before adding any more. Once all the milk is added, take off the heat and stir in the Parmesan ensuring all the cheese is melted and allow this mixture to cool. Season the mixture now with salt and pepper and transfer into a large bowl.
- Once cool, add the egg yolks and stir into the mixture. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and lightly fold the whites into the mixture. Take the lined moulds from the fridge and fill the moulds evenly leaving a 0.5cm gap to the top of the mould.
- Using an oven tray with tall sides, pour 500ml of boiling water into the tray and place the moulds on top; bake for 40 mins.
- Once the tops of the soufflés are golden brown and well-risen, take them out of the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes - they will sink back into the moulds but don’t panic! Lift the mould, tap the base to loosen and turn upside down onto a square of baking parchment. Repeat with all soufflés and place in the fridge.
- For the sauce, slice the shallots and garlic, thyme leaves and chopped rosemary and sweat off in a pan. Add the wine and cook down, add the cream and reduce by a third. Season and finish with the chopped chives and truffle oil when ready to serve.
Ingredients for the truffle and chive cream
- 2 shallots
- 2 clove garlic
- 200ml white wine
- 300ml double cream
- 50g chives
- Picked thyme leaves
- Chopped rosemary leaves
- Salt & pepper
- Drizzle of truffle oil
Ingredients for the baby leaf salad
- Pea shoots
- Watercress leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C, place the soufflés on a tray, ensuring the sheets of parchment are not overlapping each other as they will rise, and cook for 10 minutes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and leave until needed.
- Once the soufflés have risen and have turned golden brown on the top, take them from the oven, place the tray down and carefully lift each soufflé (using a spatula) off the parchment paper and onto the plate. Finish the simmering sauce with the chives and the truffle oil and garnish with the baby salad leaves.
Vega Reina Single Vineyard Verdejo
Crisp, dry and refreshing, this Spanish white wine from Broadway Wine Company will cut through the richness of the soufflé. Buy online.
Chef's table archive
- Asparagus velouté with crisp hen’s egg and pancetta »
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »