Chef’s Table in Season
Sweetcorn fritters, poached duck egg, bacon and paprika hollandaise
Enjoy a weekend brunch courtesy of Nick Orr, head chef at The Manor House Hotel in Moreton-in-Marsh…
Ingredients for the Fritters
- 90g flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 500g sweetcorn kernels
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 20g chopped coriander
- 10g diced green chilli
- Butter for frying
Method for the Fritters
- Mix all the fritters ingredients together, form into six patties.
- Pan fry until golden brown on both sides.
- 6 duck eggs
- 6 rashers of pancetta or smoked streaky bacon
- Grill the pancetta or smoked streaky bacon until crispy and set aside.
- Crack each duck egg in boiling water, adding 2tbsp of distilled vinegar and lightly poach for 7 minutes.
Ingredients for the Hollandaise
- 150g unsalted butter
- 2 large free-range egg yolks
- 1 dessert spoon white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper
Method for the Hollandaise
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- In another pan have some ready boiled water, remove this from the stove and place a bowl large enough to sit on top of it.
- Place the egg yolks, vinegar and lemon juice in the bowl and start whisking. Gently start pouring the melted buttered in while still whisking. This should cause the yolks to thicken.
- Add 1 tsp of paprika, salt and pepper.
- Place the fritter in the centre of the plate, place the warm bacon on top, and the warm soft duck egg on top of this. Finish with the hollandaise sauce.
Sarah and some of her Masterchef friends have created a fantastic Facebook group – have a look and discover some more of Sarah’s recipes - Join here.
San Vigilio Pinot Grigio Blush
This light summery brunch deserves a light summery rosé. Try this elegant rosé, scented with peach and floral characters and a juicy, fresh ripe berry fruit that fills the palate. Refreshingly dry and crisp.
Chef's table archive
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »
- Butternut squash risotto with parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile »
- Cherry Bakewell »
- Fruity Pavlova »
- Pan roasted rump of lamb with baby vegetables followed by chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet »
- Caramelised white chocolate, local strawberries & almond clusters »
- Scotch egg with asparagus, spinach and a mustard dressing »