Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut
Creative, contemporary cooking from head chef Cedrik Rullier of Wesley House in Winchcombe…
Ingredients for Mackerel
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 lemon
Ingredients for Baked Beetroot
- 4 red beetroot
- 2 yellow beetroot
- 2 candy beetroot
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 150ml olive oil
Ingredients for Herb crème fraiche
- 120ml crème fraiche
- 25ml lemon juice
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1/2 tsp chives, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 50g hazelnuts
- Baby salad leaves
Crispy Spring Greens
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 3.
- To make the herb crème fraiche, mix together the crème fraiche, pepper and a large pinch of salt. Add the lemon juice and zest. Whisk the mixture, add the chives and taste to ensure you have the correct seasoning. Place in the fridge to set.
- To prepare the baked beetroot, rub the beetroot in the olive oil, then add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of the thyme. Wrap in kitchen foil and place onto a wire rack in a tray and cook for 20-30 mins, depending on size. Once cooked, take out of the oven and leave to cool down on the rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by combining the ingredients in a jar.
- Remove the foil from the beetroot once cooked and peel off the skin. Dice the beetroot and add the dressing and thyme leaves.
- Trim the mackerel fillets so they are a clean, rectangle shape, and season. Grill for 4-5 minutes until the skin is golden and the fish is cooked through.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until golden.
- Spoon some of the herb crème fraiche on to a plate, add the dressed beetroot salad. Place a mackerel fillet on top and finish with baby salad leaves and toasted hazelnuts.
La Delfina Pinot Grigio Blush
Mackerel needs a crisp wine with good acidity to cut through the oiliness. As well as a classic white pinot grigio, you could look at a blush rosé, such as La Delfina Pinot Grigio Blush from Italy. Crisp and dry, with strawberry and raspberry flavours and mouth-watering acidity – check out Wine of the Month for more!
Chef's table archive
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »