Purple sprouting broccoli, leek and mushroom risotto
Make the most of this month’s seasonal ingredients with some vegetarian Italian comfort food…
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2tbsp olive oil
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 3 leeks, sliced thinly
- 500g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine
- 1600ml warm vegetable stock (fresh home-made or stock cube)
- Bunch of purple sprouting broccoli
- 200ml milk
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, fry the onion in the olive oil over a low heat until soft. Turn up the heat slightly and add the garlic, mushrooms and leeks. Fry until slightly browned.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes, perhaps adding more olive oil if it is sticking.
- Add the white wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the warm vegetable stock a ladleful at a time, stirring until the liquid is reduced and the rice is cooked through but still retains some bite – this should take about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli five minutes before the end of cooking time to allow it to steam and soften.
- Once cooked, stir in the milk and parmesan cheese. Finish by stirring through the parsley, season to taste and serve with fresh parmesan on top.
Verdicchio del Castelli di Jesi
This lively Italian dish needs a lively Italian white to complement it. Instead of the usual Pinot Grigio, why not try the Verdicchio del Castelli di Jesi from this month’s Wine of the Month?
Chef's table archive
- Chickpeas and spinach with chermoula »
- Leek and bacon soup with crispy leeks »
- Pheasant Cacciatore from ‘Masterchef’ 2019 Semi-Finalist, Sarah Dugdale »
- Braised pork cheeks with honeyed root vegetables and roasted garlic mash »
- Tonka bean and espresso crème brûlée »
- Individual Bramley Apple Tarts »
- BBQ roast cauliflower, chickpea, bulgur wheat & red onion pickle »
- Pan-roasted duck breast with poached rhubarb, Jersey Royal potato & watercress croquettes and redcurrant sauce »
- Roast cod loin with pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- Char-grilled asparagus, lemon-dressed rocket and poached free range egg finished off with parmesan »
- Citrus cured salmon with charred leeks, sorrel purée and crispy spring greens »
- Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »